Memorise: And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved. Matthew 10:22
Read: 1 Peter 1:1-9
1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
Bible in one year: 1 Samuel 3-5, Hebrews 7
AS REVEALED BY PASTOR E.A ADEBOYE IN TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL
1. There is a phrase commonly used throughout the whole Bible which should serve as comfort to all Christian pilgrims, particularly when they are passing through situations that are not so pleasant. That phrase it the title of today’s devotional – “it came to pass”. To someone using this devotional today, all your challenges shall pass in Jesus’ Name.
2. The Lord Jesus Christ did not promise us that the Christian walk would be a walk in the park. He actually promised us persecutions and trials as part of the Christians experience (John 16:33, Mark 10:30). He even said in Matthew 10:22 that a time will come when we will be hated of all men. Be aware that this time is fast approaching. As God would have it, longsuffering is part of the fruit of the Spirit, which is made manifest in our lives as we daily walk in the Spirit (Galatians 5:22).
3. Know for sure that from the inception of the Christian faith, believers in Christ have always faced trials of cruel mockings, scourging, imprisonment and even death. Nevertheless, be encouraged by the words of Apostle Peter to some brethren who were also going through trials and persecutions: “Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations: That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: ” 1 Peter 1:6-7
4. Just as the trying periods of the heroes of faith who have gone ahead of you “came to pass”, yours also will come to pass.
5. Let your gaze be set on the reward that is ahead of you, which the Holy Spirit spoke in James 1:12, saying: “Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: foe when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.”
6. In Revelation 22:12-14, the Lord spoke of the reward we will receive, having endured unpleasant situations in this world.
7. Beloved, the Lover of your soul, Jesus, will soon appear; be of good cheer therefore because all your trials of faith will soon be over, Just make sure you do not deny the faith. Don’t be like Demas who loved this present world and forsook the Lord (2 Timothy 4:10).
8. May the Lord keep you holy till His appearing in Jesus’ Name.
SHORT REFLECTION BY THE LIGHT POINTERS
If you ignore everything in today’s devotional, don’t ignore the prayer from Pastor E.A. Adeboye, as he prayed “ To someone using this devotional today, all your challenges shall pass in Jesus’ Name”. Challenges and problems should strengthen the faith of every believer and bring glory to God. Just as the disciples were worried and Jesus said “ “But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name’s sake. And it shall turn to you for a testimony.” Luke 21:12-13. Why not consider the promises of God before giving up. May God continually increase and strengthen Pastor E.A Adeboye in Jesus name.
Father, please let me not lose sight of the rewards that await me at Your appearing. Please grant unto me the grace to endure to the very end.
My faith look up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Now hear me while I pray,
Take all my guilt away,
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!
May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart,
My zeal inspire!
As Thou hast died for me,
Oh. May my love to Thee
Pure, warm, and changeless be,
A living fire!
While life’s dark maze I tread,
And griefs around me spread,
Be Thou my guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
Wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.
When ends life’s transient dream,
When death’s cold, sullen stream shall o’er me roll;
Blest Savior, then in love,
Fear and distrust remove;
Oh, bear me safe above,
A ransomed soul!