Memorise: Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16
Read: 2nd Corinthians 6:1-10
1 We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain.
2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
3 Giving no offence in anything, that the ministry be not blamed:
4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
6 By pureness, by knowledge, by long suffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
Bible in one year: Romans 4-6, Daniel 2:1-16
AS REVEALED BY PASTOR E.A ADEBOYE IN TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL
1. Over the years, I have observed that the more powerful some people become, the more wicked they turn out to be. When they are not yet in a position of authority, they will appear humble, but once they have a little taste of power, they act as if they are God. This is what makes my Father very different: He is a merciful God. In spite of all His power and majesty, He remains merciful.
2. Having experienced God’s mercy, David thus wrote in Psalm 40:1-2: “I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.”
3. God is so full of mercy, and there is no one who cannot benefit from His mercy.
4. When powerful people know that no one can query them, they do whatever they like. God is however different! Even though He is the Almighty God and He is all powerful, yet His mercy endures forever.
5. Every time you call upon Him, you can be sure His grace will speak for you. Ephesians 2:4 says “But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,”
6. God’s grace grants us access to the things we don’t deserve. There are many of us who are what we are only by His grace.
7. If not for His grace, some of us would not be alive today, if not for His grace; some of us would have no roof over our heads. If not for His grace, how would some of us have anyone willing to help us? There are many opportunities we have misused in the past, and yet we have not lived to regret this because of His grace. If not for His mercy, some of us wouldn’t have recovered from the consequences of our past life.
8. Can you imagine a person like Saul, who persecuted the Church of God, becoming a mighty apostle of the gospel? If I were God, I would not have saved his soul, especially when I think of the extent of the damage he single-handedly caused the Body of Christ. I then suddenly realised that I also was once in sin like him.
9. When grace and mercy are at work in a person’s life, he will begin to make his boast in the Lord.
10. Can you imagine Paul saying he had wronged no one (2nd Corinthians 7:2)? He could say this because the grace and mercy of God had washed away all his past misdeeds.
11. When mercy is at work, every sinner has a future, and when grace is speaking, every saint has no past.
12. God is telling you today that He can have mercy on you. All you need to do is to make up your mind that all the days of your life, you will continue to fear Him and walk in His ways.
SHORT REFLECTION BY THE LIGHT POINTERS
The mercy of God can wipe out every unpleasant event. It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. Lamentations 3:22-24 The mercy of the Lord does not have expiry date and it is not by works or our good deeds. We are blessed to have access to such mercy and grace. O give thanks unto the God of heaven: for his mercy endureth for ever. Psalms 136:26 God bless Pastor E.A Adeboye in Jesus name.
Father, let Your mercy and grace never depart from my life.
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!