Memorise: For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Philippians 1:21
Read: Esther 4:5-16
5 Then called Esther for Hatach, one of the king’s chamberlains, whom he had appointed to attend upon her, and gave him a commandment to Mordecai, to know what it was, and why it was.
6 So Hatach went forth to Mordecai unto the street of the city, which was before the king’s gate.
7 And Mordecai told him of all that had happened unto him, and of the sum of the money that Haman had promised to pay to the king’s treasuries for the Jews, to destroy them.
8 Also he gave him the copy of the writing of the decree that was given at Shushan to destroy them, to shew it unto Esther, and to declare it unto her, and to charge her that she should go in unto the king, to make supplication unto him, and to make request before him for her people.
9 And Hatach came and told Esther the words of Mordecai.
10 Again Esther spake unto Hatach, and gave him commandment unto Mordecai;
11 All the king’s servants, and the people of the king’s provinces, do know, that whosoever, whether man or women, shall come unto the king into the inner court, who is not called, there is one law of his to put him to death, except such to whom the king shall hold out the golden sceptre, that he may live: but I have not been called to come in unto the king these thirty days.
12 And they told to Mordecai Esther’s words.
13 Then Mordecai commanded to answer Esther, Think not with thyself that thou shalt escape in the king’s house, more than all the Jews.
14 For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father’s house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?
15 Then Esther bade them return Mordecai this answer,
16 Go, gather together all the Jews that are present in Shushan, and fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink three days, night or day: I also and my maidens will fast likewise; and so will I go in unto the king, which is not according to the law: and if I perish, I perish.
Bible in one year: 1 King 11 Acts 4:1-22
AS REVEALED BY PASTOR E.A ADEBOYE IN TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL
1. It is important for everyone to know what he or she is living for.
2. When you do not live for something, you will exist for anything – good, bad or ugly.
3. Due to the nature of man, it takes determination to live for good (Ecclesiastes 9:3, Romans 7:21-24).
4. Those who live for God live for good, while those who live for the devil live for evil.
5. In Ecclesiastes 12:13b-14, the Holy Spirit reveals the essence of our living to us when He said: “Fear God, and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.” The question today is: What are you living for?
6. Esther 4:5-16 tells the story of a young lady who decided to live for God and His people. She was ready to die if only the will of God would be done in her life through it. Despite the fact that she was a queen, she declared, “If I perish, I perish” (Esther 4:16).
7. In a similar situation, the book of Daniel tells of how three Hebrew boys disobeyed the decree of King Nebuchadnezzar when he wanted to lead them into idolatry. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were willing to be thrown into the fiery furnace in order to obey their God (Daniel 3:16-18).
8. Today’s memory verse offers an answer to the question of what we should live for.
9. When we decide to live for Christ, everything will fall into place spiritually, and when we are settled spiritually, other aspects or our lives will receive meaning and fulfillment. This is the reason why our Lord Jesus Christ said in Matthew 6:31-33: “Therefore take no thought, saying, what shall we eat? Or, what shall we drink? Or, wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”
10. Some people live for the food they will eat, the clothe they will wear, the house they will live in and the car they will ride in, all at the expense of their soul. However, if you hearken diligently to the words of the Lord to seek Him and live for Him, everything else will follow.
SHORT REFLECTION BY THE LIGHT POINTERS
Our purpose in life should be to live for Him. We should live daily for all that is His and we can be sure of living a fulfilled life. This truth dawned on Apostle Paul when he made the declaration in our memory verse for today. May the light of this truth shine in our hearts also in Jesus name. God bless Pastor E.A Adeboye on every side in Jesus name.
SHORT REFLECTION BY THE LIGHT POINTERS
Father help me to live completely for You from today in Jesus’ Name
Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise
Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne
Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.