OPEN HEAVENS DEVOTIONAL: WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 1ST 2018- KINGS OF THE KING
Memorise: But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: 1 Peter 2:9
Read: Daniel 4:28-37
28 All this came upon the king Nebuchadnezzar.
29 At the end of twelve months he walked in the palace of the kingdom of Babylon.
30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?
31 While the word was in the king’s mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.
32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles’ feathers, and his nails like birds’ claws.
34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
36 At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.
37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.
Bible in one year: Esther 4 – 7, Matthew 12:9-32
AS REVEALED BY PASTOR E.A ADEBOYE IN TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL
1. “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak in the day of judgement.” Matthew 12:36
2. It is unfortunate that King Nebuchadnezzar did not know the above scripture; perhaps he would have been spared the agony of experiencing God’s humbling judgement for seven years. While he strolled in his palace on a day like any other, he flippantly attributed his conquests and success to his ability, forgetting that there are kings and there is the King of Kings. He did not consider the benevolence of God Almighty in his rise to greatness, and this attitude sent him to God’s school of humility. May you never have to learn humility by passing through this school in Jesus’ Name.
3. As children of God who have been made kings unto God, there are many lessons we should learn from King Nebuchadnezzar.
4. As revealed in today’s memory verse, the reason for our divine election as Kings is to show forth the praises of the Almighty Abba Father, who has called us out of darkness into the marvellous light of His Son, Jesus (Revelation 1:6). We have indeed been made joint-heirs of the throne of our Lord and Saviour (Revelation 3:21, Ephesians 2:6).
5. Based on Nebuchadnezzar’s experience, it will be dangerous for us to forget that we are who we are only because of God’s grace. The Holy Spirit reminds us of this in 1st Corinthians 4:7, saying: For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?”
6. Children of God should be conscious of the fact that we were not redeemed to boast or to please ourselves. Revelations 4:10 reveals that the elders in heaven lay their crowns at God’s feet in worship and adoration; this is exactly what the King of kings expects from us also.
7. The question is, how seriously do you take the Lordship of Jesus Christ over your life?
8. Christians who live in lawlessness due to unlimited liberty are saying that they have no King above them. Therefore beloved, examine yourself today to see whether you have taken control of your life away from the King of kings. If you have, quickly return the authority over your life back to Him.
9. Furthermore, do not forget that your crown as a king under the King is called the crown of righteousness; therefore, walk and reign on His behalf in perfection (2nd Timothy 4:8).
SHORT REFLECTION BY THE LIGHT POINTERS
The truth is that no king can contend or be compared with the Almighty God, way maker, excellent God, the one who was, who is and who is to come. If you have always failed to give Him the honor and glory, beware so as to be free from seeing the wrath of God. He’s a jealous God and will not entertain sharing of His glory. Let’s examine ourselves and if you are guilty of not honoring your maker, amend your ways. God bless pastor E.A Adeboye in Jesus name.
Action Point: confess to the Lord your submission and loyalty to His lordship over your life.
need Thee every hour,
Most gracious Lord;
No tender voice like Thine
Can peace afford.
I need Thee, oh, I need Thee;
Every hour I need Thee;
Oh, bless me now, my Savior!
I come to Thee
I need Thee every hour,
Stay Thou nearby;
Temptations lose their power
When Thou art nigh.
I need Thee every hour,
In joy or pain;
Come quickly and abide,
Or life is vain.
I need Thee every hour,
Teach me Thy will;
And Thy rich promises
In me fulfil.
I need Thee every hour
Most Holy One;
Oh, make me Thine Indeed,
Thou blessed Son.