Memorise: “Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.” 1 Corinthians 15:33
Read: Proverbs 1:10-19
10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:
12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:
13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:
14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:
15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.
18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.
19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.
Bible in One Year: Exodus 11-12, Romans 3:9-31
AS REVEALED BY PASTOR E.A ADEBOYE IN TODAY’S DEVOTIONAL
1. In today’s memory verse, the wisdom of God warns us that evil communication corrupts good manners.
2. A wise person would take this divine warning seriously in order to escape the corrupting influence that associating with evil people will have on his or her good manners.
3. Some people have allowed overconfidence to destroy their lives through careless and even deadly associations.
4. Some young people with bright and promising futures, sent to school to prepare them for fulfilled adult lives, have been derailed through evil associations with destiny destroyers like secret cults, sex-for-hire rings, partying and clubbing friends, drinking, smoking and gambling pals.
5. Our Bible text warns us against the enticement of sinners. The revelation here is that sinners are capable of enticing us; we must therefore be careful not to fall prey of their enticing antics.
6. One bait sinners use in luring good souls into their fold is the promise of material gain and comfort. In Proverbs 1:13-14, the Holy Spirit warns that sinners will say sweet words like these to entice you: “We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil: Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:” But it’s a lie; the target is your soul.
7. There are many channels of evil communication. One avenue is through business partnerships. Children of God should be careful of the type of people they partner with in business. Someone who pays his or her tithe regularly may begin to default after forming a business alliance with someone who does not believe in giving God a tenth of his or her income. Gradually, such children of God would begin to rob God, and consequently, the blessings of Abraham they claim as their portion will begin to elude them until they lose it all.
8. Another channel of evil communication is marriage. In Deuteronomy 7:3-4, the Lord gave the children of Israel this injunction on marriage with those who did not share their faith: “Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son. For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.”
9. This principle also applies to the Body of Christ today. Those who disobey this injunction never have a good story to tell down the line (1 Kings 11:4).
10. I pray that you will not be a victim of evil communication in Jesus’ Name.
SHORT REFLECTION BY THE LIGHT POINTERS
2 Corinthians 6:14-18 summaries today’s devotional. It says “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.” God be praised for Pastor E.A Adeboye in Jesus name.
Examine the lives of those you associate with, determine those who are a negative influence on you and break off from them.
1.Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise,
Let them flow in endless praise.
2.Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3.Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
4. Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose,
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.
5. Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.